2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog

Enrollment as Non-degree Students

Students who wish to enroll for personal and professional development rather than in pursuit of degrees may apply as non-degree students. Non-degree student applications are available at bsu.edu/admissions/apply, scrolling to “Steps for Other Students” and selecting the tab “Apply as a Non-degree student.” Students must submit official high school transcripts, the General Education Development (GED) certificate and/or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) certificate, or college transcripts. Applicants must have earned a high school diploma or GED/TASC certificate and not be currently enrolled in post-secondary institutions. In addition, a student applying that has post-secondary course work must be in good standing – a minimum cumulative grade-point average of a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale and eligibility to return to the last post-secondary institution attended. Please note: financial aid is not available to non-degree students. If you have applied for and been denied regular or online admissions, you must have 24 transferable credits from another institution to be admitted as a non-degree seeking students. Non-traditional students must have a GPA of 2.5 or better on their high school transcript to be admitted as a non-degree seeking student.

Initial Enrollment as Non-degree Students. Before course registration, students registering for courses must call Upper Division Academic Advising for appointments, 765-285-5490. Students must meet all course prerequisites and departmental requirements. In addition to academic advising, students will be eligible for other services offered through University College and the Division of Online and Distance Education. If a student does not achieve the academic standards required their first term of enrollment, they are subject to all institutional policies.

Continuing Enrollment as Non-degree Students. The maximum number of semester credits that non-degree students may earn is 31. In addition, students will be subject to all university policies and regulations, including those pertaining to academic probation and dismissal.

Changing to Degree Status. Students in good academic standing at the conclusion of the semester in which they have completed 20 semester credits may apply for regular admission. If admitted, students will be eligible to pursue degrees. At any time during non-degree enrollment, students may submit the required materials to be considered for admission to pursue degrees.