2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog



The university reports and records grades using the plus/minus letter system. Quality points are allocated to each recorded grade according to the following scale:

A = 4.000 B+ = 3.333 C+ = 2.333 D+ = 1.333 F = 0
A- = 3.667 B = 3.000 C = 2.000 D = 1.000
B- = 2.667 C- = 1.667 D- = 0.667

Programs requiring C or better grades will not accept a C- grade (unless specified otherwise). A student’s grade-point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of GPA credits.

A grade of F is recorded when a student fails a course or withdraws from a course after the withdrawal period unless, in the judgment of the dean of the instructor’s college, the reasons for withdrawing from a course warrant a W.

FN (Non-attendance) represents a failing grade awarded to the student who did not attend a course (no completed assignments, no exams, no instructor interaction or other documented engagement in an academically-related activity in the course).

FS (Stopped attendance) represents a failing grade awarded to a student who did not officially withdraw but failed to complete a course (i.e., did not take a final exam, stopped attending, etc.) and failed to achieve the course objectives. Instructors will be required to enter the last date of academic engagement for the student receiving a grade of FS.

A failing grade (F, FN, or FS) is recorded when a student withdraws from a course after the published withdrawal deadline for the semester or term unless, in the judgement of the instructor or college dean, the reasons for withdrawing from the course are such that the student should have a W.

CR is recorded for students registered under credit/no credit provisions who do work that is 2.0 or above.

NC is recorded for students registered under credit/no credit provisions who do work that is below 2.0.

I represents incomplete work and is given only when it is determined that the student should be given an opportunity to finish the work. The instructor, along with the department chairperson, decides whether to award an incomplete grade in a course and outlines the requirements and time limit for completing the work. It is most important that the conditions for removing the I be as specific as possible. Removal of an I grade should be limited to as short a period as possible. CR/NC enrollments will expire to become a failing grade as defined by the grading method. All other enrollments expire to an F grade. Unless an earlier completion data is specified by the instructor, an I grade awarded for an undergraduate course will expire as follows: for Fall enrollment, by May 1; for Spring and/or Summer enrollment, by December 1. An exception is made when an extension on the timeline has been recommended by a department chairperson and approved by the appropriate dean. The Registrar’s Office will send an email reminder to the student and to the instructor of an I grade on the student record on or about the 15th of every month.

NR represents a grade not properly reported by an instructor. The instructor must assign a grade by the fifth week of the next term. If an NR grade is not removed by the fifth week of the following (academic year) term, the Registrar’s Office will change the grade to F or to NC if it is a credit or no credit course.

W represents an official withdrawal from a course.

Students who want to take courses without credit to apply toward a degree (auditors) sign waivers for the specific courses. Students must make audit adjustments prior to the end of the add/drop period for the term of enrollment. Students earn no academic credit for auditing classes. Such classes are represented by the entry AU on the student’s transcript.

At the close of each semester or term, students may access grades at my.bsu.edu. Any correction in a grade already reported must be made by the instructor and approved by the department chairperson and the dean of the instructor’s college before it is filed in the Registrar’s Office. Any such change must be completed within one year of the close of the session for which the grade was due.

Dean’s List. Undergraduates who earn at least a 3.5 grade-point average for 12 or more credits of graded course work during a semester or for 6 or more credits of graded course work during a summer term will be named to the dean’s list for that semester or term. Course enrollment under the grading option of credit/no credit is not used in Dean’s List calculation. This designation will be placed on students’ academic transcript.